Position: Cloud Cost Optimization Engineer
Job Duties: In joining Brooksource’s Global client as a Cloud Cost Optimization Engineer, you will be joining a team that is responsible for overseeing the global and multi cloud footprint for the client with a critical mission focused on promoting, governing, and implementing economical consumption throughout the client’s various business units. In joining this team, you will be tasked with automating, integrating and maturing the Cloud FinOps’ processes and data. The Cloud Cost Optimization Engineer will partner with architects and engineers to advise on architecture and resource optimization, waste management, capacity management, KPI development and maintenance, and tagging and alerts enhancements.
Other Key Tasks:
- Monitor cloud consumption in various accounts and projects to mitigate waste and to determine areas of resource efficiency – automating thresholds through ServiceNow to trigger alerts.
- Work with account owners and engineers on an ongoing basis to advise on cloud resource setup in light of operational and financial trade-offs
- Comprehend complex architectural diagrams for new and existing projects to derive cost impact and advise on the cost mechanics and alternatives of the various cloud services
- Recommend savings opportunities related to cloud commitment purchases (Reserved Instances, Savings Plans, Spot, Committed/Sustained Usage..etc)
- Track utilization of cloud reservation/savings plans and work with teams to re-purpose freed up capacity
- Evaluate and investigate data patterns and anomalies to derive insightful knowledge that can inform strategic and operational decisions
- Leverage the cloud CMDB and other tools to advise on strategies for resource mapping, tagging, and maturity
- Analyze cloud services and deployed resources volume to inform contractual negotiations relating service discounts and commitment levels
- Participate in building, maturing, and governing Cost Optimization policies and best practices
- Act as subject matter expert in advising on new and existing cloud services and resources across cloud vendors
- (Required Technical Experience):
- 5+ years’ experience working as a cloud engineer, developer, or architect
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in a large multimillion cloud environment
- Strong automation background
- Experience with developing scripts via Python (other languages might be applicable) to implement automated cost optimization control policies
- Ability to connect various services using related product APIs
- Integrating into ServiceNow, etc.
- Deep expertise in the core cloud services architecture and cost mechanics (Compute, containers, database, serverless, storage..etc)
- Experience in DevOps/SRE practices such as CI/CD, IaC, and expertise with Linux and Windows stacks
- Experience in navigating and managing cloud CMDB
- Experience with 3rd party cloud optimization tools and in utilizing data from monitoring tools to advise on optimization opportunities (Rightscale, New Relic, Splunk, CloudWatch..etc.)
- (Plus Technical Experience):
- Successful implementation of cost optimization strategies related to storage lifecycle configuration, compute rightsizing, reduction of idle or underutilized resources, snapshot cleanups, …etc
- Experience in cost management tactics such as enterprise wide discount programs and commitment plans (Reserved Instances, Savings Plans, Spot, Sustained Use/Committed Use Discounts,..)
- Advanced understanding of AWS cloud platform, Cost Explorer, Cost and Usage report, and services
- Deep knowledge of Kubernetes, Serverless technologies, Elemental Media Services (Live, Connect, Package, and Convert)
- DevOps experience using Terraform
- Experience with implementing a successful tag governance process
- (Education Required) – Bachelor’s degree in computer science field or equivalent experience.
- (Certification Required) – Possess an AWS Solutions Architect certification, or ability to attain within 6 months is strongly preferred
- (Location) –Remote opportunity
Benefits of working with Brooksource:
- Previous experience working with this client and placing both permanent employees and contractors.
- Direct communication with the hiring manager, which allows us to have a deep understanding of the timeline and move you through the interview process faster.
- Dedication to keep an open line of communication and provide full visibility.
- Brooksource is an equal opportunity employer.
Brooksource provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, citizenship, disability, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.