Research Scientist (Explosive Detection)
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Long Term Contract
Rate Dependent on Experience
Our industry leading Research & Development partner is seeking to add a Research Scientist to a program at the Transportation Security Laboratory (TSL) within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The TSL serves as a primary research facility for measurements and study of the interaction of electromagnetic radiation with weapons and explosives. The lab is equipped with an array of systems that provide a broad coverage of the electromagnetic frequency range, for analysis, modeling, and evaluation to develop test articles and test protocols in a standardized manner based on applied research to determine the characteristics of the explosive materials that make them detectable. Your work will be integral to the reduction of threats and attacks against civilians. You will have an opportunity to work directly program leaders and top scientists.
- Advanced degree from an accredited college or university in Physics or Engineering; either a Ph.D., or M.S. degree.
- Active Secret Security Clearance and ability to obtain DHS Suitability
- 1+ year of technical experience in the field of millimeter wave RF electronics design and testing.
- Experience with MATLAB and/or Python programming
- Experience writing, translating, and/or publishing research information for variety of stakeholders.
- Development of passive millimeter wave simulants of explosives to support the needs of development testing and evaluation (DT&E)
- Operation and calibration of spectra or power levels and maintenance as needed, of spectroscopy systems, to include, Coherent and Syrah Lasers and Horiba Spectrometer, Picometrix THz system
- Research and development of passive millimeter wave image quality tools to support the needs of DT&E
- Research and development of new techniques to support detection of explosives, such as rotational spectroscopy and nuclear quadrupole resonance
- Knowledge of computer vision, image processing, image detection and 3D to 2D image projection
- Knowledge in Synthetic Aperture Radar
- Operation and calibration spectroscopy experience (preferably Coherent, Syrah Lasers, Horiba Spectrometer, and/or Picometrix THz system)
- Prior experience working at the DHS
What's in it for you?
- Opportunity to work in a state-of-the-art facility near Atlantic City, NJ
- Collaborative team-based environment with room to grow!
- Exposure to exciting technologies, such as lasers and spectroscopy
- Weekly pay, benefits, and 401k
Brooksource provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, citizenship, disability, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.