Sr. Software Engineer
Seattle, WA or New York, NY
The Senior Software Engineer – Cloud Native Services will be responsible for design, development, and integration of various new and existing technology solutions that supports all aspects of our Investment Operations team: operations, accounting, integration, reporting and other aspects of the business.
As part of the core services team, the Senior Software Engineer – Cloud Native Services will be responsible for the design/architecture and implementation of various cloud native micro services primarily focused on AWS based infrastructure and tooling.
- Work closely with the business unit and other team members to understand and document requirements
- Provide flexible solutions to complex business problems using our technology practices
- Design and develop AWS based micro-services to support various business needs
- Design and develop business tier components
- Design and develop relational database models
- Design and develop interactive web-based user interfaces
- Design and develop integration solutions with 3rd party data providers and systems
- Mentor new or less senior developers
- Share experience, knowledge, and ideas to the team to improve processes and productivity
- Create unit/integration/functional tests
- Contribute to evolution of our architecture to make it more flexible and easy to use with primary focus on cloud
- Follow our development process and guidelines
- Conduct code reviews of other developers, pull-request reviews
- Follow technology trends/tools and recommend improvements to our technology when appropriate
- Manage interns while continually developing, promoting, and documenting our internship program.
- Act as the security expert for the development team by advocating for secure coding practices and implementing security related features.
- Responsible for researching and implementing software development initiatives that are cross functional and may be passed off to other groups later.
- 5+ years of hands-on Java/J2EE and/or Python design and development experience
- Strong knowledge of various AWS cloud services like EC2, ECS, S3, MSK, Fargate, Aurora, Elasticsearch
- In depth experience with various message streaming technologies especially Apache Kafka
- Solid understanding Docker containerization and AWS Lambda serverless development, Step functions etc.
- IaaS familiarity, working knowledge or CloudFormation, Terraform is a plus
- Solid understanding of core language features and how to use them properly (interfaces, generics, annotations, reflection, closures, etc.)
- Multi-threading programming in and thorough understanding of thread safety principles
- Proven experience with test driven development, JUnit, and mocking
- Familiarity with version control systems such as GIT or SVN
- Working experience with agile development
- Familiarity with continuous integration and build tools like Maven or Gradle
- Working experience with major application servers: Tomcat, Weblogic, etc.
- Strong knowledge of RDBMS and SQL.
- Working knowledge of NoSQL databases like DynamoDB, MongoDB etc.
- Proven track record of becoming a subject matter expert in areas related to current assignments.
- Effective communication skills with business users and other developers.
- Experience prioritizing business solutions and accurately estimating project schedules.
Brooksource provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, citizenship, disability, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.